John Catt Educational Limited ("John Catt") is committed to protecting
and respecting your privacy. Before using this website (the "Site")
please read the information below carefully.
References to "you" and "your" are references to the person accessing the Site.
References to "we", "us" and "our" are references to John Catt or its subsidiary companies.
sets out the basis on which your personal information (provided by you
or collected by us) will be processed by John Catt. The purpose of this
collects and the purposes for which we use this data. By using the Site
updated from time to time without notice). If you do not agree with the
John Catt is a data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998.
2. Information collected
2.1. Personal data: John Catt collects your personal data when, without limitation, you:
• register on the Site;
• order products via the John Catt online bookshop (www.johncattbookshop.com);
• fill in a form on the Site;
• post any material on the Site;
• complete a John Catt survey;
• enter a John Catt competition;
• contact us (eg. by telephone, email etc).
The personal data you provide will only be used for the purpose for
which it is provided, unless we inform you otherwise at the time you
provide this data. You may inform us at any time if you wish us to
cease using your personal data.
2.2. Non-identifiable information: John Catt will from time to time
collect information from you that does not reveal your personal
identity. Information may include details of your visit to the Site
(including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and
other communication data) and any resources you access. We may also
collect information about your computer including, where available, your
IP address, operating system and browser type. We use this information
for our editorial and marketing purposes and to report to our
advertisers. This information is only used in aggregate form and is not
connected to any name, address or other personal identifying
Cookies are small amounts of information that are sent to and are stored
on your computer. They are used to identify you when you visit the
Site, and to make your use of the Site more convenient for you. Cookies
are used to remember usernames, passwords and preferences and to
deliver a faster and more personalised service. The Site may contain
advertisements created and provided by a third party. These
advertisements may place Cookies on your computer that collect
information about you and your use of the internet. John Catt does not
control the collection or use of your information by such advertisers
not wish to have Cookies placed on your computer you can disable Cookies
on your internet browser. However, turning them off may mean that you
will not be able to enjoy the Site to its fullest.
4. Storage and transfer of your personal data
Due to the international nature of the internet, the collection and
may involve transferring your personal data between countries in which
John Catt and our strategic partners are located.
John Catt shall take steps to ensure that any storage of your personal
data in or transfer of your personal data to a country or territory
outside the European Economic Area (EEA), whose laws provide for a
different standard of protection for your personal data than that
provided under English law, shall be made subject to contractual
arrangements which will require that your personal data be processed to
at least a standard compliant with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not
completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your
personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted
to the Site; any transaction is at your own risk. Once we have
received your information, we will use strict procedures and security
features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
5. Use of personal information
John Catt processes information collected from you in the following ways:
• for the purpose of providing a personalised service;
• to ensure the content on the Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
• to provide you with information, products and services you request from us;
• to provide you with information, products and services we feel may
interest you (where you have consented to be contacted for such
• to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
• to contact you with information about your registration details or your "My Account" ;
• to allow you to participate in any interactive features of the Site (should you wish to do so);
• to conduct market research surveys or invite you to enter
competitions (where you have consented to be contacted for such
• to tell you about news or events provided by John Catt or one of
our strategic partners (where you have consented to be contacted for
• to notify you about any changes to our services.
John Catt may disclose your personal data to any member of the John Catt
group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and
its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the Companies Act 2006.
We may disclose your personal data to third parties:
• who are partners of John Catt and who we require to process personal data in order to provide services on our behalf;
• in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which
case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or
buyer of such business or assets;
• if John Catt or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a
third party, in which case personal data held by John Catt's customers
will be one of the transferred assets;
• if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in
order to comply with any legal obligations or in order to enforce or
apply our Terms and Conditions and other agreements; or
• to protect the rights, property or safety of John Catt, our
customers or others. This includes exchanging information with other
companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and
credit risk information.
There may be links on the Site to third party websites which John Catt
has no control over. John Catt accepts no responsibility or liability
for any third party practices on third party websites. John Catt
advises you to carefully read third party privacy statements prior to
the use of any third party website.
8. Access to information
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information
about you. Your right to access can be exercised in accordance with the
Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our
costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about
9. Contact Details
JOHN CATT EDUCATIONAL LIMITED
12 DEBEN MILL BUSINESS CENTRE
OLD MALTINGS APPROACH
Tel: +44 (0) 1394 389860
John Catt Educational Limited is a company registered in England (registered company no: 05762466).
VAT registration no: 886808757.